Wiki Modifier for HT Revision

clbarry8033

Networker
Best answers
What modifier would you use if a patient initially had a hammertoe repair, and then two weeks later had to go back into the operating room for a revision due to implant failure? I had 3 in mind, but am not sure which one to use. I was thinking maybe modifier 58 (probably not), 76, or 78. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

58 is for a staged (planned) return to the OR. Since you had device failure (which I can only assume was not the plan:)) this would not be a planned secondary procedure.

76 is when a physician has to perform the same procedure, during the global period of the original procedure. It sounds like an implant was inserted on the 1st procedure, and a revision done on the 2nd, so this would not be a repeat/same procedure.

78 seems like the modifier you are looking for. This is used when "It may be necessary to indicate that another procedure was performed during the postoperative period of the initial procedure (unplanned procedure following initial procedure). When this procedure is related to the first, and requires the use of an operating/procedure room, it may be reported by adding modifier 78 to the related procedure." (quote credit EncoderPro/AMA)