Wiki Modifier Help

adunlap23

Guru
Best answers
Hi again,
I need more modifier help...
The physician performed a right wrist carpal tunnel release and a right shoulder trigger point injection.
I coded the wrist procedure as 64721-RT.
The description of procedure code 20552 is: injection(s); single or multiple trigger points(s), 1 or 2. Would it be sufficient to simply put an RT modifier with it? or would I code it as 20552-59-RT to show the procedure was done on a separate site from the wrist since the description of the code is very vague?
Thanks in advance for any help. The modifiers really throw me, for some reason.

Hi again,
I need more modifier help...
The physician performed a right wrist carpal tunnel release and a right shoulder trigger point injection.
I coded the wrist procedure as 64721-RT.
The description of procedure code 20552 is: injection(s); single or multiple trigger points(s), 1 or 2. Would it be sufficient to simply put an RT modifier with it? or would I code it as 20552-59-RT to show the procedure was done on a separate site from the wrist since the description of the code is very vague?
Thanks in advance for any help. The modifiers really throw me, for some reason.

Since both procedures were done on the right side, you would need an additional modifier to distinguish that they are separate procedures on separate body parts. The RT modifier alone wouldn't distinguish that the procedures were on separate body parts.

You could use a 59 modifier, but I'd consider using the XS instead. The X modifiers give more specificity than 59. (Of course, it depends on payer preference whether they want the X modifiers or prefer a 59 instead.)

XS - Separate Structure
XE - Separate Encounter
XP - Separate Practitioner
XU - Unusual non-overlapping service

Since both procedures were done on the right side, you would need an additional modifier to distinguish that they are separate procedures on separate body parts. The RT modifier alone wouldn't distinguish that the procedures were on separate body parts.

You could use a 59 modifier, but I'd consider using the XS instead. The X modifiers give more specificity than 59. (Of course, it depends on payer preference whether they want the X modifiers or prefer a 59 instead.)

XS - Separate Structure
XE - Separate Encounter
XP - Separate Practitioner
XU - Unusual non-overlapping service
Thank you. I will look into which modifier the payer prefers.