Wiki Modifier usage: 76 vs 77

Summer

Networker
Best answers
Good morning everyone,

Quick question, if you have 10 physicians from the same speciality/same group who are reading EKGs for the hospital and a patient has 3 EKGs done on the same day and 3 different doctors from this same group read each EKG, would you use a modifier -76 to mean several EKGs have been read by the same group of physicians or would you use modifier -77 to mean each of the (three) physicians from the same group read an EKG.

I've been using modifier -76 since the physicians are from the same group and same speciality. Is this correct?

Thank you for your guidance.

76 is repeat by the same physician and 77 is repeat by a different physician so if there were 3 different EKGS performed all read by different physicians then you use the 77.

76 is repeat by the same physician and 77 is repeat by a different physician so if there were 3 different EKGS performed all read by different physicians then you use the 77.

Id like to revive this thread. I am wondering if for repeat ekgs with the same group of physicians should use 76 mod because Medicare defines same physician as in the same group.??

Id like to revive this thread. I am wondering if for repeat ekgs with the same group of physicians should use 76 mod because Medicare defines same physician as in the same group.??

I'd be inclined to agree. I would use a -76 if I was coding for physicians that were in the same group, billing under the same tax ID number.

Jessica CPC, CCC