Wiki modifier??

j-fowler57

Guru
Best answers
I know this is pretty simple but for some reason I am having a blank. I have a surgery where the surgeon was to do a Mediport insertion on the left. He got all the way in and could flush but not draw so he did a venogram and it "appeared to be extravastion of contrast outside the venouse system" so he terminated the procedure. The next day he inserted on the right side with no difficulty. So for the first one ( left ) I'm blank on the needing of a modifier. Do I need one beings he did do the insertion but then removed it and terminated the procedure? Any suggestions??? Thanks for any help!!!!:)

I know this is pretty simple but for some reason I am having a blank. I have a surgery where the surgeon was to do a Mediport insertion on the left. He got all the way in and could flush but not draw so he did a venogram and it "appeared to be extravastion of contrast outside the venouse system" so he terminated the procedure. The next day he inserted on the right side with no difficulty. So for the first one ( left ) I'm blank on the needing of a modifier. Do I need one beings he did do the insertion but then removed it and terminated the procedure? Any suggestions??? Thanks for any help!!!!:)

look into modifier 74 or 52

Modifier 53 "Discontinued procedure" seems to be appropriate. Just be prepared to appeal if the claim is denied. The note should explain what the "extravastion of contrast" was, or what the adverse reaction was that caused the physician to stop the procedure. Tissue damage? :)

I was ... just wasn't sure which one. 52 is for reduced services and 74 is for discontinued services after aneth. But he did do the entire procedure so would 52 be the more approriate one to use??:confused:

I thought you were interested in a modifier for services performed/attempted to be performed on the left side? You advise the service was "terminated" because of "extravastion."

It was inserted and he could flush it but he couldn't draw on it. He did do the whole procedure and then did the venogram and then "determined the extravation of venous" and then proceded to remove what he had inserted. This is my question... do I need a modifier? Sorry for any mis communication on this.

facility... wasn't sure if I even needed a modifier or maybe even code the removal as well because that is what he did .. inserted .. had a problem and took it back out. Reinserted the next day to the other side with no problem.