Wiki Modifiers Q7, Q8, and Q9

dballard2004

True Blue
Best answers
I have a question regarding the use of these modifiers. I realize that these modifers are indicative to foot and podiatry, but do you have to be a podiatrist to report them?

Let's say that a Medicare, diabetic patient presents to a family practice provider for footcare (trimming of nails) and meets the criteria for one of the modifiers, can we report them, or are they only for podiatry?

Also, codes G0245-G0247. If a patient meeting the critieria for these codes presents to a family practice provider and we provide foot care (trimming of nails), do we report G0245-G0247 and the CPT codes for the trimming of the nails along with modifiers Q7-Q9, or does G0245-G0247 cover the trimming of the nails?

Thanks

I would double check to see if those codes are payable to a family practice doc, if they are not then you can't bill them. If they are then yes I would use the modifiers they are required in order to get the procedure paid.

Katie Werner, CPC CPMA

Does anyone have recent detailed guidance concerning the use of the Q modifier codes? I'm specifically looking for guidance and examples for modifier Q8, but would appreciate any and all information. I'm finding older information with outdated links. Thanks.