Modifiers QK, QY, QX, QZ

jcroly

Contributor
Best answers
Modifers QK,QY,QX,QZ

Can someone shed some light on how these modifiers are used? I find that CPT does a good job of explaining modifiers but when it comes to HCPCS I find that in some cases I need a little more info. If you are using these and can shed some light as to their use I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
modifiers

You will find some useful information on trailblazerhealth.com. If you do a search for Modifiers Manual, you'll find one was recently published April 2008. This defines the modifers you are asking about. If you do another search for Anesthesia Services, you will find examples of how to use the modifiers in question. I hope this helps.

Zaida, CPC
Northern Virginia Urology

These are anesthesia modifier for the MDA(QK/QY) and the CRNA(QX/QZ).

The Q modifiers for the MDA are used when they are medically directing a CRNA(s). Use the QK when the MDA is medically directing 2-4 concurrent anesthesia cases. The QY is used when the MDA is medically directing 1 CRNA.

The QX and QZ are used for the CRNA. Use a QX when a billing for a CRNA that is being medically directed by an MDA. The QZ is used when the CRNA provides anesthesia without an MDA present(no medical direction).

Hope this helps!

Modifiers, QK, QY, QX, QZ

What is the correct way to code for a CRNA who is medically supervised when the anesthesiologist submits a claim using the -AD modifier? I'm having quite a bit of difficulty finding anything that differentiates between medical supervision and medical direction since the CRNA modifiers do not state supervision.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

When -AD is reported for the physician, use QX for the CRNA. There is no other modifier for a supervised CRNA.

Hope that helps.

Steve Young, CPC
Ahma
Frederick, MD