Wiki Modifiers -XP & -XU

lgardner

Best answers
All the definitions of the -X* modifiers include a statement that these modifiers should only be used if there is not a more specific modifier to describe the situation.

Most documentation I have read about this includes lists of the 'more specific modifiers' that might be used instead, for the -XS and -XE, but not for the -XP and -XU.

Having looked at the CPT modifiers, I tried to pull out the ones that I thought might be more appropriate than -XP in some situations, but I am not confident that it is correct AND I am unsure about a list of modifiers that may be more specific/appropriate than -XU.

Here is my list of modifiers that might be more appropriate than -XP:
54, 55, 56, 62, 66, 77, 80, 81, 82
Could someone, please tell me if these look right?

Can anyone supply a list of modifiers that may be more appropriate to use, instead of -XU?

thanks!

Generally I'll use the X modifiers as a more specific replacement for modifier 59, if the payer accepts them. They would be used when there are charges on the same day that are bundling but it is appropriate to unbundle. They would not be used to override global period issues, just same day bundling. This is a good reference on the subject: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/mln1783722-proper-use-modifiers-59-xepsu.pdf

Generally I'll use the X modifiers as a more specific replacement for modifier 59, if the payer accepts them. They would be used when there are charges on the same day that are bundling but it is appropriate to unbundle. They would not be used to override global period issues, just same day bundling. This is a good reference on the subject: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/mln1783722-proper-use-modifiers-59-xepsu.pdf
Thanks for the response.
:)

I was tasked to create a PowerPoint and a training session on Modifier -59 and -X* modifiers and was just looking for clinical examples.

But, I presented it last week (it went well).