Wiki Mohs surgery in global days.

bmanus

Guru
Best answers
Good Morning,
I have a question regarding the correct modifier to use during global period of a Mohs surgery 17311. One was performed on the forehead and 8 days later another is performed for the ear, both are BCC. Would you use modifier 58 or 79 since its a different site. I'm leaning towards the 58.

Thank you for your help with this matter.

Good Morning,
I have a question regarding the correct modifier to use during global period of a Mohs surgery 17311. One was performed on the forehead and 8 days later another is performed for the ear, both are BCC. Would you use modifier 58 or 79 since its a different site. I'm leaning towards the 58.

Thank you for your help with this matter.

Hi there,

You would use a 79, the 58 would not apply in this case because it's a different anatomical location. Also, you would use the 79 on closure codes as well since those are usually 90 days. If the first 17311 procedure did not include a closure, the 79 would not be necessary, as there are 0 global days for that CPT code.

Hope this helps.

Jen Verlinda, CPC

Closures have a variety of global periods

Not all closures are 90 day global.

Simple closure has a zero global, intermediate and complex have 10 day global. Flaps, grafts and adjacent tissue transfers have 90 days.