Wiki Mohs with final specimen sent to path for staging

andersee

Expert
Best answers
Scenario: a derm surg performs two stages, in which he acts as the pathologist, but, on the third stage, he submits the specimen to the pathologist for review without reviewing it himself. How do I code this? I'm wondering if I can bill 17311 and 17312 for the first two stages then 116XX for the third and allow the pathologist to bill 88305. Or would we bill 116XX plus 88331 for the derm surg plus 88305?

HELP!

Hi,
I have heard of cases that the provider sends specimens out while doing Moh's but from what I have seen that is a preference of the provider to do that. There would be nothing to bill since the components of Moh's is to have the pathology read during the time of surgery. You would bill the first two stages but then not for that last one. You wouldn't bill a 116xx with it because how would you be able to distinguish if this charge was separate by putting a modifier 59? This wouldn't be a different independent procedure it is still the original Moh's site that you are already billing your first two stages in.
I hope that this helps.

Julia Holt CPC, CPCD