Wiki Morbid Obesity - I have never posted in a discussion

nadineguiliano

Contributor
Best answers
Hi everyone!
I have never posted in a discussion before, so I am hoping that someone can answer me this:
Morbid Obesity no longer is subject to 40 or Greater BMI correct?
The patient may have BMI of 35 with co-morbidities and qualify for Morbid Obesity.

I can not find anything that gives a real solid answer.

Thank you.
~Nadine

Morbid obesity

Yes that is correct, as long as there is at least one related health risk or consequence that is also supported, a BMI of 35-39 (class II obesity) can be coded as morbidly obese E66.01.

I wish i had the source with me but I was told in a presentation yesterday that you cannot code Morbid Obesity unless the physician uses the term morbid or severe obesity in the record. That you cannot even assume a BMI of 40+ is anything but Obesity, unspecified

Just like the coder cannot interpret the lab results to determine the diagnosis, they also cannot take a BMI measurement to determine the level of obesity. The coding guidelines state:
For the Body Mass Index (BMI), depth of non-pressure chronic ulcers and pressure ulcer stage codes, code assignment may be based on medical record documentation from clinicians who are not the patient’s provider (i.e., physician or other qualified healthcare practitioner legally accountable for establishing the patient’s diagnosis), since this information is typically documented by other clinicians involved in the care of the patient (e.g., a dietitian often documents the BMI and nurses often documents the pressure ulcer stages). However, the associated diagnosis (such as overweight, obesity, or pressure ulcer) must be documented by the patient’s provider. If there is conflicting medical record documentation, either from the same clinician or different clinicians, the patient’s attending provider should be queried for clarification.

I wish i had the source with me but I was told in a presentation yesterday that you cannot code Morbid Obesity unless the physician uses the term morbid or severe obesity in the record. That you cannot even assume a BMI of 40+ is anything but Obesity, unspecified

Yes it must be diagnosed.

COC, CPC, CRC

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I have never posted in a discussion before, so I am hoping that someone can answer me this:
Morbid Obesity no longer is subject to 40 or Greater BMI correct?
The patient may have BMI of 35 with co-morbidities and qualify for Morbid Obesity.

I can not find anything that gives a real solid answer.

Thank you.
~Nadine

Do they have to link the co-morbidities to the obesity dx? like in DM?

Do they have to link the co-morbidities to the obesity dx? like in DM?

Yes it needs to be linked. very few conditions can just be assumed when it comes to linking. You can be obese and have secondary diabetes. You can also be skinny and be diabetic or morbidly obese and not be diabetic which is why you cant assume.