Wiki MUA of Knee (27570) w/ MAC Anesthesia

hdavis34

New
Best answers
Does anyone have any cpt assists or Medicare edits that specify that General anesthesia is required for 27570 and the MAC anesthesia is not inclusive to that?

I have a client that will have to add an unlised code to the system and is asking for supporting information and other than just pointing out MAC is not General (as the code describes) I dont have anything that is concrete.

Thanks!

Here is a similar query I found, you may need to use the unlisted code 27599?

Manipulation of knee with adductor canal block followed by propofol anesthetic
Coding Clinic for HCPCS - Third Quarter 2019 Page: 13 Effective Date: September 25, 2019

Related Information

Ask the Editor

QUESTION 12

A patient status post knee arthroplasty developed arthrofibrosis and presented for manipulation under anesthesia. He underwent an adductor canal block for postoperative pain control followed by propofol anesthetic and a gentle manipulation of the knee was performed. The code descriptor for CPT code 27570 specifies "general anesthesia." How is manipulation of the knee joint coded when performed under propofol?

ANSWER

Assign CPT code 27599, Unlisted procedure femur or knee. The administration of propofol alone is not considered general anesthesia, therefore the assignment of CPT code 27570, Manipulation of knee joint under general anesthesia (includes application of traction or other fixation devices), would not be appropriate.

Please note, when reporting an unlisted code, medical record documentation may be required.