Wiki Multi patient, multi provider family session

Lisapurple216

Networker
Best answers
I have a situation I've never run across before. I have 3 LCSW's who participated in a family session each with their own individual patient as part of the same family. So basically 3 members of the same family with their own provider in sesson. Do I pick one to be the primary patient and only one LCSW bills for that patient? Billing a family session for each doesn't seem right but I can't wrap my head about this one. I hope that made sense. Thanks so much.

Don't count on my opinion for this since I don't have any real-world experience in therapy session coding, but as I understand it, the "family session" would mean that the members of the family are all in one room together with just one provider. Is each individual in a separate room with a different provider? That seems more like the individual patient session to me as well and they all just happen to be having them at the same time so all 3 providers would get billed individually.

Don't count on my opinion for this since I don't have any real-world experience in therapy session coding, but as I understand it, the "family session" would mean that the members of the family are all in one room together with just one provider. Is each individual in a separate room with a different provider? That seems more like the individual patient session to me as well and they all just happen to be having them at the same time so all 3 providers would get billed individually.
No, all family all providers together in session, its not even like one patient has the problem they are dealing with, family circumsances. It's a hard one.

Have you tried asking them why they do it that way? That might give you some insight into how you should code it.