Wiki Multi-use vial - NDC doesn't match up??

AKAJBART

Networker
Best answers
We're using a multi use vial of Depo-Medrol NDC # 00009-0306-02. When we bill 80mg (J1040)(entire bottle) there are no NDC # issues. However, when we split the bottle and use a 40mg dose (J1030) on two different patients, we get error's from the insurance company stating that the NDC # is not accurate. If it's a MULTI-USE vial....... why would it get denied? We can't bill the full 80, when only a 40mg dose is being given. There's no waste.
:confused::confused:
Can anyone please help with this, or direct me to someone that can explain why a multi-use vial NDC # wouldn't be listed on different 'J' code dosages

Depo-Medrol comes in three strengths, 20 mg (J1020), 40 mg (J1030) and 80 mg (J1040). The NDC number is based on the dosage in the bottle (mg/ml). If you have 80 mg of Depo-Medrol and you only use 40, you need to use 0.5 (you gave 1/2 the dose) as the number of units and bill with J1040, this way your HCPCs code matches with the information provided by the NDC number.

I guess I never realized that you can bill .5 as 1/2 of a dose or .25 as 1/4th of the dose. Makes perfect sense though. Will give it a try. Thanks for your help!! :D