Wiki Multiple Diagnosis In One Day

Best answers
We are a FQHC clinic and some of our providers refuse to see patients with multiple issues at once. They want to address what the patient is here for and come back for other issues. Is there any kind of guideline that would say this is ok or not ok? I do not want us to run into a liability issue. :confused:

Wow

That's a very weird way of handling patients. I understand why they want to do that (get paid per rate and wrap around...) :eek:
Actually, it's up to the Doctor to decide the Tx plan. I guess until they go through a complaint to appropriate organization from patients...
I can't think of any guidelines on that, and don't think there is any :confused: Try checking compliance or QA sites, like OIG, maybe?

Maybe the issue is a case of better management of patient flow. In today's world there is an increase in patient load and decrease in physicians/resources. The increase of aging baby boomers are putting additional strains on the healthcare system to accommodate the higher patient volume.

It might be a liability issue if the patient is presenting with an issue and the doctor is simply ignoring the complaint due to time. What if this problem presented was ignored and the patient died because of it?

I would suggest talking to your office manage and medical director or whoever your key players are to address your concerns.You didn't say your role so I can not assume to much. You did indicate you are from a FQHC and FQHC must be governed by a borad of directors... I did find a great article from AAFP feel free to to read at: http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2002/0600/p45.html