Wiki Multiple familys group psychotherapy code 90849

mccormickb1

Best answers
I hope someone can help me. CPT direction for the use of the multiple families group psychotherapy using code 90849 is minimal, does not state that the patients need to be present or not. Optum 360 coding and payment guide for Behavioral health services under that code for the last few years 2016-2018 (all I have access to ) states under the explanation that the patient must be present as part of the group. I noticed for 2019 it does not state that the patient must be present. In CPT changes insiders view, the code is listed but without any explanation of what changed. My question is if we can use this code for multiple family group psychotherapy with the patients and without the patients? In our BH pediatrics program we have a few providers who are leading multiple family's groups without the patient and using the psychiatric unspecified code 90899 since there was not a code for this. There is a code under the maladaptive behavioral new codes, but that would be specific to the autism and ADHD group. Now I wonder if we can use 90849.