Wiki Multiple laminectomies at same visit

pammalou

Networker
Best answers
We have laminectomy done for decompression at C4-5, C5-6, C6-7. Do I only code the release 01N10ZZ once or do I code it 3 times? I've tried finding guidance that tells me and I do not see it anywhere that I can find. Help would be appreciated.

You would only report it once. The objective is to release the cervical nerve. You are coding for the objective, not how many levels need to be attended to, to reach the objective

ICD-10-PCS Guideline B3.2 gives examples of when multiple procedures would be reported

Multiple procedures

B3.2

During the same operative episode, multiple procedures are coded if:

a. The same root operation is performed on different body parts as defined by distinct values of the body part character.
Example: Diagnostic excision of liver and pancreas are coded separately.

b. The same root operation is repeated in multiple body parts, and those body parts are separate and distinct body parts classified to a single ICD-10-PCS body part value.
Example: Excision of the sartorius muscle and excision of the gracilis muscle are both included in the upper leg muscle body part value, and multiple procedures are coded.

c. Multiple root operations with distinct objectives are performed on the same body part.
Example: Destruction of sigmoid lesion and bypass of sigmoid colon are coded separately.

d. The intended root operation is attempted using one approach, but is converted to a different approach.
Example: Laparoscopic cholecystectomy converted to an open cholecystectomy is coded as percutaneous endoscopic Inspection and open Resection.

Last edited: