Multiple Procedure Help, please! - We had a patient in our office

MandyBMC

Best answers
Hello!

We had a patient in our office who had multiple procedures done in one day and we are stumped on how to code this. The patient received a TDAP vaccine and we administered it. The patient also had 3 skin tags removed, 2 of which are biopsies.

This is what we are billing:
90715 TDAP Vaccine
90471 Immunization Admin
11200 Removal of Skin Tags
11100 Biopsy Skin Lesion
11101 Biopsy Skin Lesion Add-On

How in the world do we use modifiers in this case? We thought using 51 on 11101 and 59 and 90471 would do it, but I'm not sure. Can anyone here please help take a stab at this?

I don't think your physician did not do a biopsy. Biopsy is taking of a small piece of a large lesion for testing to see if the physician needs to go back and remove the whole thing. A physician doesn't biopsy a skin tag. After the skin tag is removed the physician may collect it in a specimen cup and sent off to a pathologist to perform a biopsy. That "biopsy" portion is billed with a surgical pathology code by the pathologist.

I don't think you need any modifiers for Vaccine w/ admin or the skin tag removal(s)

Hello!

We had a patient in our office who had multiple procedures done in one day and we are stumped on how to code this. The patient received a TDAP vaccine and we administered it. The patient also had 3 skin tags removed, 2 of which are biopsies.

This is what we are billing:
90715 TDAP Vaccine
90471 Immunization Admin
11200 Removal of Skin Tags
11100 Biopsy Skin Lesion
11101 Biopsy Skin Lesion Add-On

How in the world do we use modifiers in this case? We thought using 51 on 11101 and 59 and 90471 would do it, but I'm not sure. Can anyone here please help take a stab at this?

Have you tried AAPC Coder they have a free trial for 14 days.