Wiki Multiple Procedure Payment Reduction?

rbassett

Contributor
Best answers
When performing multiple procedures in the same operative session by the same provider, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc procedures get reduced by 50%, 25%, 25% etc. Does that still apply when they are done on separate structures?

Example:
67040 RT = paid at 100%
67228 LT = paid at 50% or 100%

Thanks.

Yes it applies even if its separate structures, incisions etc. The only time it doesn't is for designated add on-codes and codes listed as modifier 51 exempt in the CPT book.

Last edited:
CodingKing
If I'm understanding your response correctly that would mean that when we perform 64483 & 64484 and bill professionally, we would not expect to see a reduction on the add-on code 64484 and they should pay the allowed amount for that payer? And lets use Noridian/Medicare as an example here.
Thank you

That is usually correct but based on your contract . I am employed by the payor so there are many contracts out now that are not grouper based and pay by %. If it pays by percentage you usually get the percentage of total billed charges up to a max no matter how many procedures are billed . and Implants and high cost drugs may or may not be included in max I also have one ASC contract that pays 100/50/25/25 but medicare standard is 100/50/50/25 and there is sometimes even a max to them.