Wiki Multiple visits in one day

zvankleek1

Best answers
:eek: I work in an ortho clinic with two providers. Yesterday the girls in the front office had one patient see both of my docs for two different problems. Today I'm trying to figure out what to do. Since I am both the coder and the transcriptionist I have a dilemma, can I combine both dictations and bill it out, or do I have to pick one visit over the other? Would really appreciate some help on this one.

Thanks,
Zoe

Zoe, Was the patient seen and then came back in for another complaint? If that is the case and the visits are unrelated, then each can be billed.

If it was 2 unrelated problems with 2 different providers, they can be billed separately. The problem could lie within whether or not your providers bill with the same tax id or not.

Yes, the providers have the same tax id #. I really don't think that I can bill for both visits. The patient was scheduled at 8:30 for one appointment for her knee and at 9:00 for the second appointment for her shoulder.

Is this because one Doc specializes in knees and the other specializes in shoulders? If this is the case then it would be ok to bill separately for each physician's services. Given that it would be two different physicians, two different diagnosis, two different appointments... same TIN... a modifier 25 might be in order but be prepared for a denial and appeal with medical records.

Hope this helps...

I bill and code for a multispecialty practice and on occassion our patients see multiple providers on the same day -

When Dr A is seeing the patient for the knee then code the visit with the dx for knee -

Then Dr B is seeing the patient for shoulder then code the visit with the dx for shoulder -

These will get paid without any modifier -

Just make sure when and if you get a denial from the insurance company you call and appeal making the insurance company realize that there are 2 different dx's that were used for the 2 different providers -

I do this all the time especially when our providers are seeing the patients in the hospitials on the same dates for different dx reasons.