Wiki MVA protocols for doctors office? Billing auto-insurance question

DeBillingTater

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello everyone, I just had some questions to see what protocols or guides you follow when it comes to billing motor vehicle accident claims (MVA) in a doctor's office setting. Do you charge patients self-pay rates and send them home with HCFA claim forms? Do you bill the patient's insurance and then provide necessary information like accident date and let the insurance figure it out? Do you bill the auto-insurance?

I haven't been able to find a good answer to any of these questions and I was hoping to update our practices to better serve the patients without making it a year-long turnaround time on payment. Thank you!

Sincerely,
DeBillingTater

Hello everyone, I just had some questions to see what protocols or guides you follow when it comes to billing motor vehicle accident claims (MVA) in a doctor's office setting. Do you charge patients self-pay rates and send them home with HCFA claim forms? Do you bill the patient's insurance and then provide necessary information like accident date and let the insurance figure it out? Do you bill the auto-insurance?

I haven't been able to find a good answer to any of these questions and I was hoping to update our practices to better serve the patients without making it a year-long turnaround time on payment. Thank you!

Sincerely,
DeBillingTater
The most common scenario I have seen in practices is that the account is marked as self pay and the patient is billed. In my experience MVA insurance does not pay much for office visits b/c they are the last item to pay. The big difference I find in practices is deciding whether they will send the patient to collections or not while they're working on the MVA stuff.

First of all, is the office visit related to an auto accident? when was the accident? and does the patient have auto insurance? If the patient does not have auto insurance then yes billing the patients Medical insurance (if they have that) would be next step. If the patient has Auto insurance they need to call their auto insurance and get a claim# from the auto insurance and person of contact to the providers to your office for appropriate reimbursement.

Does your provider's office accept MVA accidents? Alot of primary Doctors do not take auto insurance claims?

Sorry, so many questions as MVA protocol is a little tricky sometimes.

Thanks
Misty

Misty,
Thank you for your response. Yes it's related to an auto-accident office visit, POS 11. Accident was recent. Patient has auto insurance and medical. Patient was told to tell us to bill their auto insurance.

We generally see MVA patients unless it's work-related. In the past, most have been self-pay patients that we gave out claim forms for them to submit for reimbursement. I just wanted to know if there's an industry standard to follow, or if it's up to the practice to determine how and what to bill.

Thanks!
I have always sent the claim to the auto insurance. the patient should just provide with the date of the accident and the claim# provided by their auto insurance company. if the patient was seen in the hospital and the PIP was exhausted then the claim can be submitted to the medical as a secondary. I am in Florida so it may very by state but I would think the auto would be billed first.

First of all, is the office visit related to an auto accident? when was the accident? and does the patient have auto insurance? If the patient does not have auto insurance then yes billing the patients Medical insurance (if they have that) would be next step. If the patient has Auto insurance they need to call their auto insurance and get a claim# from the auto insurance and person of contact to the providers to your office for appropriate reimbursement.

Does your provider's office accept MVA accidents? Alot of primary Doctors do not take auto insurance claims?

Sorry, so many questions as MVA protocol is a little tricky sometimes.

Thanks
Misty
Misty,
Thank you for your response. Yes it's related to an auto-accident office visit, POS 11. Accident was recent. Patient has auto insurance and medical. Patient was told to tell us to bill their auto insurance.

We generally see MVA patients unless it's work-related. In the past, most have been self-pay patients that we gave out claim forms for them to submit for reimbursement. I just wanted to know if there's an industry standard to follow, or if it's up to the practice to determine how and what to bill.

Thanks!