Wiki MXT

gnp001

Networker
Best answers
How do you bill- in a global period for MXT treatments? It's the first time I've come across this and perhaps I'm not searching for it correctly. Thanks!

How do you bill- in a global period for MXT treatments? It's the first time I've come across this and perhaps I'm not searching for it correctly. Thanks!
Are you referring to injections of methotrexate after surgery? These injections would not be related to recovery from the surgery so can be coded as any other unrelated treatment and you would use a modifier -79 I would think on the chemo injection code you are reporting during the global period.

Yes, typically you would use 96401 for the injection with -79. There could be situations where the methotrexate is not given IM, or along with other meds where 96401 is not the correct code. As @nielynco pointed out, this treatment is not included in the surgical postop period, and is billable and payable separately.
The Medicare global surgery booklet is a great resource for what is and is not included in the global surgical package.