Wiki Mycardio Infarction Coding

amylis1

Guru
Best answers
Hi all, when coding stress test if the provider notes” recent MI” would I code it is old MI?
any info on coding MI would be so helpful. Thank you

From our Wiki post here:
Code: I25.2

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Old myocardial infarction

Block: Ischemic heart diseases (I20-I25)

Details: Old myocardial infarction
Healed myocardial infarction
Past myocardial infarction diagnosed by ECG or other investigation, but currently presenting no symptoms

I recommend reviewing the Chapter 9 guidelines in ICD-10 which address coding of myocardial infarctions in detail in section e. As quoted below, an MI is coded differently depending on how recently it occurred (i.e. within the last 4 weeks or not) also depending on whether it is resolved or still requiring treatment. If the provider has just documented 'recent' with no additional information about the timing or status of the condition, it may be necessary to query for clarification.

For encounters occurring while the myocardial infarction is equal to, or less than, four weeks old...codes from category I21 may continue to be reported. For encounters after the 4 week time frame and the patient is still receiving care related to the myocardial infarction, the appropriate aftercare code should be assigned, rather than a code from category I21. For old or healed myocardial infarctions not requiring further care, code I25.2, Old myocardial infarction, may be assigned.