Wiki NSTEMI myocardial infarction (old vs history of) when coding CAD

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: I25.2

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Old myocardial infarction

Block: Ischemic heart diseases (I20-I25)

Details: Old myocardial infarction
Healed myocardial infarction
Past myocardial infarction diagnosed by ECG or other investigation, but currently presenting no symptoms
I25

Use additional code to identify:chronic total occlusion of coronary artery (I25.82)
exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (Z77.22)
history of tobacco dependence (Z87.891)
occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (Z57.31)
tobacco dependence (F17.-)
tobacco use (Z72.0)

Guidelines: Diseases of the circulatory system (I00-I99)

Excludes 2: certain conditions originating in the perinatal period (P04-P96)
certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00-B99)
complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)
congenital malformations, deformations, and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E88)
injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)
neoplasms (C00-D49)
symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00-R94)
systemic connective tissue disorders (M30-M36)
transient cerebral ischemic attacks and related syndromes (G45.-)

For more details on I25.2, ICD-10 Code for Old myocardial infarction , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/
Best answers
I am auditing a record that documentation stated " CAD with history of NSTEMI Myocardial infarction" but no other code besides I25.10 was used. I think I would need to add I25.2 for old myocardial infarction to the I25.10 diagnosis, but I am not sure since the documentation states this is a history code. Also, there is a code for NSTEMI myocardial infarction I21.4, but to me this suggests a current MI, not something specified as history.

As far as I could tell, there are no history of codes for Mycardial Infarction in ICD-10. Please assist as the coding guidelines don't outline if these codes need to be added to each other somehow.

Thanks!

Amanda