Wiki NDC Codes

dballard2004

True Blue
Best answers
Is there a specific requirement that anyone can point me to that says that the NDC number has to be documented in the note? I know each drug has a specific NDC number that we put on the claim, but if the note says we administered the drug, we add the appropriate NDC number, but does the NDC number have to be documented in the note before we can add it? Thanks.

Is there a specific requirement that anyone can point me to that says that the NDC number has to be documented in the note? I know each drug has a specific NDC number that we put on the claim, but if the note says we administered the drug, we add the appropriate NDC number, but does the NDC number have to be documented in the note before we can add it? Thanks.
If its not documented then how do you know what NDC # to use on the claim? We have templates in our EHR that the nurse or provider have to complete when they administer meds or vaccines. The have to document name of medicine/vaccine, NDC #, lot #, exp date and site of injection.
Some EHRs allow you to hard code the NDC # to the CPT or HCPCS code but if the clinical staff doesn't let you know that they had to order a different brand or generic vs name then you will be billing the wrong NDC.
We also have patients that will bring in a medicine that they pick up at the pharmacy for us to administer, even though we don't bill for the medicine we can charge for the administration and we have a payer that requires is to put the NDC # on the administration.
The CDC states that the NDC either needs to be documented in the EHR or the immunization information system. Here is the reference: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/2d-barcodes/downloads/guidance-documenting-ndc.pdf

If its not documented then how do you know what NDC # to use on the claim? We have templates in our EHR that the nurse or provider have to complete when they administer meds or vaccines. The have to document name of medicine/vaccine, NDC #, lot #, exp date and site of injection.
Some EHRs allow you to hard code the NDC # to the CPT or HCPCS code but if the clinical staff doesn't let you know that they had to order a different brand or generic vs name then you will be billing the wrong NDC.
We also have patients that will bring in a medicine that they pick up at the pharmacy for us to administer, even though we don't bill for the medicine we can charge for the administration and we have a payer that requires is to put the NDC # on the administration.
The CDC states that the NDC either needs to be documented in the EHR or the immunization information system. Here is the reference: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/2d-barcodes/downloads/guidance-documenting-ndc.pdf
I'll second this. Your records should include a dispense record and the NDC number should be part of that. We have an internal pharmacy but previously our chemo nurses dispensed...NDC numbers, lot #s, drug manufacturer are all a critical part of our medical record. If you don't document it, how can you prove you dispensed a drug or, more specifically, what you dispensed? The NDC should reflect what you had in stock and dispensed for that patient. Drugs often have multiple NDC numbers; if you're not using the NDC from the dispense record, how can you be certain you're reporting the correct one?