Wiki Need desperate advice please

Best answers
Hi,

I have been a CPC since 2000. Back in 2006 I had to leave my job as a coder for an orthopedic practice to care for my stepson who has MS and could not be left alone. I had been searching for a remote position over the years but no luck cause they always want someone with "recent" experience.

My stepson is now in a nursing home. I have continued to try remote but also have applied to various coder AND any medical positions in nearby hospitals, doctors offices etc. I have ALSO achieved my COC certification last year, at my own expense, to try to get hospital coding opportunities.

So far I had one hospital coding interview but that went south.

I need DESPERATE advice on what would anyone out there do? I have a passion for coding but now I would just like to get into any entry level minimum salary medical position.

Is there anything I can do that maybe has worked for someone else?

Where are you located?

Please state where you are located. Someone may reach out to you. Also mention if you hve been doing a lot of reading, attending webinars etc. A lot has happened in the last few years so unless you have kept up you basically will have to start over.

I am in the East Stroudsburg area of Pennsylvania. I do know that alot has happened and am perfectly willing to start over even though I've kept up my certification and got the COC last year.

What would you advise a newly credentialed coder?
Thanks

How are you with ICD 9 & 10? Risk Adjustment coding is really hot right now and expected to be one of the fastest growing sectors in the coding business (I, believe or that's what people tell me. the fact AAPC is now offering a CRC, is a good clue). I know many of these companies are relying on fresh CPC-A's with no experience to fill these positions due to demand. Many pay for training. I know a few people who have nothing but their ICD-10-CM proficiency certificate doing it . Surely one of these will take a chance on a coder who has been out of the game but maintained certification. Id keep a look out for those. I know they pop up here on the forums fairly often.

You may want to check this out especially if you are able to work remotely at the provider sites. Its not risk adjustment and its 2 hours from your area but its a national chart review company so its possible the sites are closer than the city in the listing. Id keep watching their website as they are one of the agencies that consistently has remote risk adjustment positions

https://careers-inovalon.icims.com/jobs/5581/certified-coders-site-medical-record-coders/job

Last edited:
I'm real good with ICD9 and 10. Pretty up to date. Any chance of the company info on where the people you know work so I can send a resume to them? That would help so much and thanks for that link also.