Wiki Need Help! Idea for comparable code for sialendoscopy

AN2114

Guru
Best answers
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a comparable code for unlisted code 42699 for a sialendoscopy. The doctor used the sialendoscope to cannulate the salivary duct and to visualize the duct and also injected kenalog via the endoscope. Does anyone have an idea of what can be used as a comparable code? I typed out the report below in case it helps. Any help is appreciated!

After consent was obtained the patient was taken to the OR and laid supine on the table. Anesthesia was inducted. Time-out procedure was performed. A Doyen-Janson mouth gag was used for exposure. The left Wharton's duct was visualized and attempt was made to cannulate and dilate this duct although this was unsuccessful. Due to patient's history of recurrent right-sided SMG disease, decision was made to move to the side of pathology.

The Right Wharton's duct was then visualized and a size 0000 Schaitkin probe was used to cannulate the duct and tranverse the entire length of the duct. This was dilated stepwise until a size 0 dilator was used. Next a 1.3mm Storz sialoendoscope was used to visualize the duct in its entirety. Once the proximal portion of the duct was reached, a total of 0.5cc Kenalog 40 was slowly introduced via endoscopy as the endoscope was slowly withdrawn. Mouth was suctioned. The FOM was palpated and felt to be soft. Patient was turned to anesthesia in a stable condition. They tolerated the procedure well with no complications.

I equate it to 42335 - Sialolithotomy; submandibular (submaxillary), complicated, intraoral assuming the requisite complexity is demonstrated in the op note. If it is not shown to be complex, 42330 would be a more appropriate equation for the unlisted code. I found most often the sialendoscopy procedures, while less invasive for the patient, was significantly complex for the surgeon when reading the operative note detail from my surgeon.

Last edited: