Wiki need help on coding allergy injections

cb122454

Contributor
Best answers
A pt received 3 allergy injections on the same day and the provider is using 95117 and 95165. I would like to know if this is correct? Many thanks.

hmmm..can't say that we've ever used the 95165 when provider allergy injections. Typically, for multiple allergy injections we use the 95117 (as kbarron)....

THAT being said, this 95165 is a pretty interesting code and deserves more research on my part, perhaps we're missing charges!! :)

I believe 95165 is only used by the allergist who prepares the antigen--
"for the supervision of preparation and provision of antigens" (from CPT 2009). If you are just administering antigens to a pt that were prepared by another physician, say in a family practice office, then you would only use the 95115 & 95117, as appropriate.

Our pts come in for the injection only. The office provides this service as the allergist office is 45 mins away. They do not prepare only load up the vial. The 95145-95170 are for prep and provision of the antigen extract, administration is not included in these codes. This comes from the Coders Desk reference for Procedures, 2009.