Wiki Need help, please

Cyndi113

True Blue
Best answers
Hi there,

I'm at a new employment and ran across this procedure. Not sure how to code it. Would you take a look and let me know what you think? Thanks so much in Advance.

PROCEDURE:

Conversion procedure, where we did 30 radiofrequency burns to the posterior atrial wall.

REASON FOR OPERATION:

The patient has had recurring episodes of atrial fibrillation. He has undergone multiple ablations. He has been referred for the possibility of a convergent procedure to help with the control of his atrial fibrillation. Because of his quite large size, we did not offer at the same time an atrial appendage clip, thinking that this could be done through an endovascular approach in the future with a Watchman if needed.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE:

Patient was taken to the operating room. He was prepped with ChloraPrep solution and draped in the usual sterile fashion. We cut down on the xiphoid process. This was removed. We then opened the pericardium to allow access to the posterior left atrium. We placed the device in and started visualizing. We found our landmarks. We then began doing the ablation. A total of 30 burns were done from the right pulmonary veins to the left pulmonary veins. We then placed a chest tube into the mediastinum. It was sewn into place. The fascia was reapproximated with 2-0 Stratafix. The skin was closed with Stratafix. We then did a cardioversion with 200 joules with

a single shock, and he was able to be converted to sinus rhythm. The patient was then transferred to the ICU in stable condition.

This isn't an area of specialty that I've coded, but just looking this over briefly, I'm inclined to think that CPT code 33250 is the most appropriate. Perhaps someone with experience in EP procedures will help confirm.