Wiki NEED HELP !!!!!URGENT !!!!!IV PUSH lasts more than 15 mins

NishaJ

Guru
Best answers
Hi Guys,
I need a help on IV PUSH Coding . As per general guidelines, IV PUSH An intravenous injection (IV push) is an infusion of 15 minutes or less. Incase if they administered above 15 mins, can we consider it as a Infusion and code with 96365.

In MEDICARE CGS portal, I have got this point, Since my patient also belongs to this Carrier.
"What is the difference between an IV push and an infusion?
An intravenous push (intravenous injection) is an infusion of 15 minutes or less and requires that the health care professional administering the injection is continuously present to observe the patient.
In order to bill an intravenous infusion, a delivery of more than 15 minutes is required for safe and effective administration.

https://www.cgsmedicare.com/parta/pubs/news/2011/0211/011.html

Any one please clarify whether we should consider this as IV PUSH or IV Infusion.
Thanks in advance....

An IV push is essentially less than 15 minutes and sometimes you won't see an up and down time but only the time it was given. Anything that runs 16 minutes or over bills 96365. If the infusion runs 1 hour and 30 minutes, it counts as 1 hour (only 96365). If they have a time of 1 hour and 31 minutes, you bill for the 96365 AND the 96366.

Sometimes the intention is a push (due to what seems common to most) but in some cases, the patient may have an adverse reaction to a higher faster IV flow so they slow it down and it runs over 16 minutes and yes, it then it becomes a 96365.