Wiki Need help w/ CPT for DIag. Lap after a failed D & C

sfirth1

Contributor
Best answers
Patient was scheduled for D & C due to miscarried at 9 weeks. Procedure could not be preformed. Physician did an exploratory diagnostic laparoscopy and repaired cervical laceration. Need advise on how to code. I'm thinking it would be 59820-52 for unsuccessful D & C but not sure if I can add 49320-51 and 57720-59.

Attachments

• april30_2021.jpeg
    april30_2021.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Patient was scheduled for D & C due to miscarried at 9 weeks. Procedure could not be preformed. Physician did an exploratory diagnostic laparoscopy and repaired cervical laceration. Need advise on how to code. I'm thinking it would be 4900-51, 59820-52 and 57720-59.
Could you post the op note (sanitized of course) so we can see all of the procedures performed? 59820 is a missed abortion which means the fetus is still in place at the time of surgery, but you are only describing a diagnostic laparoscopy.. And 4900 (missing a final digit) would be an abdominal procedure, not laparoscopic.

Yes, please post the op note - that would make things clearer. I am guessing you mean 49320? If the cervical laceration occurred during the attempted D&C, then you can't bill for the repair, unless the repair was done by a different doctor.