Wiki Need help w/first time coding of Endovascular Repair of Aneurysm 34802 34812 34825

amexnikki23

Best answers
Brand new to me. Very brief OP notes and provider is using 34802, 34812-50, 34825, 34826. Here is the bulk of the entire note:

"both groins were accessed w/US guidance & a 6-french sheath placed. We then proceeded w/placement of sheaths on the left side. The right side we performed embolization and coiling of the left internal hypogastric artery & then proceeded w/abdo aortic aneurysm."

I dont understand these terms such as "coil" and "sheath" because mostly what I'm seeing on here as far as examples and OP notes are concerned, are "stent" or "cuff" or "extender" and "prosthesis" so I'm getting lost in translation.

Can you point out these codes in this OP note? Are they the correct codes? The only thing I see clearly is the 34812-50 to be honest. And possibly the 34802, but I'm not getting the 34825/26 AT ALL. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Help with AAA coding

34825 & 34826 are for extensions if necessary after the surgeon deploys the mainframe of the stent. 34812-50 would be femoral exposure, 34802 would be the mainframe stent. If the surgeon also introduced the catheter into the aorta you would need code 36200-50 as well. If the surgeon did an intraoperative angiography you can also bill 75952-26. I code this fairly often in our office. I hope this helped.

re: Help with AAA coding :)

Thanks so much! In looking at the OP notes entered in my first post, do you agree with those codes?

34825 & 34826 are for extensions if necessary after the surgeon deploys the mainframe of the stent. 34812-50 would be femoral exposure, 34802 would be the mainframe stent. If the surgeon also introduced the catheter into the aorta you would need code 36200-50 as well. If the surgeon did an intraoperative angiography you can also bill 75952-26. I code this fairly often in our office. I hope this helped.

If that small paragraph is the bulk of the operative report then you can not bill for all of the codes. Like the saying goes "If it wasn't dictated, it wasn't done" and if you get audited, you will have to return money. Our surgeons dictate at least a 3 page dictation on AAA endovascular repair detailing every procedure done.

Thanks so much! In looking at the OP notes entered in my first post, do you agree with those codes?