Wiki need help with dx code

dsmith06351

Networker
Best answers
How would I code a diagnosis of - status post pneumonia and pneumothorax?

Thanks for any help

Denise

This is for an infant who had pneumonia and a pneumothorax in the hospital. The patient came in to the office for a 2 week visit and the docter noted this as a second diagnosis. I have not seen it written this way before and could not find any information on it. After I posted this I talked to the doctor because I have two more diagnoses in babies where the doctors are writing status post. One is status post RDS. The doctor wants to document that these babies had this condition but is now has no signs or symptoms but may have complications later on. After my conversation with the doctor I was thinking mabye a V code for history of but did not get a chance to look into it any further today. Any thoughts?

Denise

Dx Code

Good Morning:

Ask your provider to be more specific when it comes to pneumothorax and pneumonia. As coders, we don't want to assume anything, especially when it comes to pediatrics. The dx for pneumothorax is 512.8 - the question is how old is the child - if this is a newborn then use 770.2. Pneumonia dx is 486, but if the pneumonia is complicated by flu or influenza, then the code is 487.0. Again, your provider has to be educated on how specific he/she needs to be. I hope that this is helpful.