Wiki Need Help With Exc lesion With A to T Flap

Hopp

Best answers
Hi! Wondering if I anyone can help coding the following:
Exc forehead lesion with FS (Clear Margins)- Triangular portion of skin was exc. superiorly and a horiz.incision was made at base of the circle of the initial incision and extended outward on each side to
create 8 sq cm A to T Adv.Flap. Redundant crescents were excised from the flaps inferiorly on each side and rotated medially to close defect. Subcu.tissues were approx.using inverted 409 Biosyn and skin was closed with interrupted 5-0 nylon.
CPT 14040 I believe is correct for the flap but just wondering if appropriate to also use Code 13131 - 59 (if not when would you use this code) Thanks in advance for any help concerning this
Deb,CPC

the 14000 series includes closure, you could use the repair code for excision of lesion if closure was layered or complex

Thank you for response-Still uncertain!

I thought that CPT 14000 included layered closure. Was just wondering based
on note posted if that would warrant CPT code 13131 with 59.
Confused! TIA
Deb,CPC

the flap repair is the closure in this case so you would not also add the complex closure as that would indicate 2 different wounds. The excision codes include the simple repairs, layered and complex repairs may be coded in addition to the excision. However when a flap is used to repair the defect then you do not also code the excision. This is all stated in the CPT book.