Wiki Need help with home health billing

AThurman06

Best answers
I recently submitted the G0180 home health initial certification code for a Medicare patient. Medicare is rejecting this claim because the date of service--which we have always used as the date the physician signs the certification-- was actually 1 week after the patient deceased (The certification period was from 12/24/09-02/21/10; patient deceased 1/5, but our physician reviewed all labs, etc. and signed on 1/12, obviously before he became aware of the patient's status).

I would assume that since the patient died before the physician reviewed and signed the certification, that we cannot bill for it, if, in fact, we are correct in using the date of service as the date the physician signs. However, I hate to "assume" anything and I don't think we've ever come across this situation before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

This is a biggie on the OIG work plan for 2010, that is billing for services after the date of death. You absolutely may not do this. If the physician did not do the review of labs etc ubtil 1/12 then you may not bill for those services.