Need help with Situational Anxiety diagnosis

moremopars1

Contributor
Best answers
:confused::eek:I am having a quandary in finding the correct diagnosis for "Situational Anxiety". In the Doctors HPI it states the patient has a fear of eating in social situations and his definitive diagnosis is "situational Anxiety. I want to know if 300.09 (Anxiety states ,other) would be the correct code for his DX. But then I see code 300.23 (Social phobia-fear of eating in public) listed under phobic disorders. But the doctor doesn't state situational anxiety due to anything as his definitive DX. Would I need the doctor to add an addendum to this stating the fear of eating in order to use the 300.23 or can I use 300.09 just as it stands. Please advise and let me know what resources you used or if it just your opinion.
Thanks for your help.
Diane

I would personally go with the 300.09 but it is definitely up to you. You can query the doc to see if they want to add the fear of eating in public into their final dx but with what is already documented, I would stick with the 300.09 since he did not make the eating part of his final dx. You can't assume that the eating in public is part of the situation that the provider meant.
Just my opnion...for whatever that's worth..lol

Dental Situation

I have a similiar problem, but mine is "situational anxiety in a healthcare setting" for dental procedures. I usually code 308.3 (308.9 intially) because 300.9 doesn't quite fit the bill.

300.29 is a more specific dx...

Clarifying Terms:
Acrophobia
Animal phobias
Claustrophobia
Fear of crowds

Since the physicians definitive diagnosis is "situational Anxiety.", 308.3 appears to be a better fit since it doesn't label the patient with an absolute diagnosis.

308.3=

Clarifying Terms:
Acute situational disturbance
Acute stress disorder
Brief or acute posttraumatic stress disorder

I'd go with

ICD-9CM 309.9-Unspecified adjustment reaction
(adaption reaction)
(adjustment reaction)

My opion, follow the book.

Look under Reaction then from there you'll hit situational. And that's how I got this code.

But over all you may want to query the physician.

Daniel, CPc

I don't think this fits either....

309.9=

Plain English Description

Adjustment reactions and disorders occur when the patient has difficulty adjusting to a new environment or situation. They could be a reaction to grief, moving away from home, or other such situations.