Wiki need info for new job! help!

treeves

Best answers
Hey guys!
Ok, I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks, and am very excited! :D I'm going to be working for an ambulance company. I was wondering if any of you know where I can get info or have any info that would be helpful since this is a totally new direction for me! Thanks in advance for any help!

Tiffany Reeves, CPC

Check out your local Medicare carrier and state Medicaid sites. Take a look at their claims processing manuals, program integrity manuals and any memoranda. I think those things should put you in the running for the right direction.

As Kevin stated....look at your medicare/medicaid guidelines, depending on what state you are in- some medicare guidelines are very strict when it comes to ambulance coding. Some medicare carriers hold ambulance seminars periodically throughout the year. (and sometimes they are free) Some states issues an annual list of dx codes that should be used for ambulance. In addition, your HCPCS Level II coding book will also be a great source as you will utilize many of the A-codes (begin with A0021 and moving forward). These will be your transport codes, supply codes, etc. You might want to familiarize yourself with the runsheets, and know where to find pertinent info on it. Your origin and destination modifiers will also be found in the HCPCS book just prior to the A-codes. Remember, learn (and research) as much as you can about this speciality, bcuz, the more you know about it, the more easier for you to perform your job! Congrats! thanks,