Wiki Need Opinion: CPMA or CPCO

kfrycpc

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I have a decision to make and need some advice/suggestions etc.

A little background: I am a CPC and am looking to expand on my certifications. I work at a hospital who owns several of the practices including CVT, Neurology, Surgical, etc. I currently code and bill for Neurology Hospitalists (E/M). I've also done CVT.

Our hospital is opening up a new wound care center and our director would like me to be familiar with the coding aspect of the center and down the road, is looking to use my coding credentials to be the full-time coder (the hospitalist manager currently does most of it), and in his words "wants me to be familiar with all phases of coding for every practice in case of audits and compliance".

So, I can't decide what would be better for me to take: the CPMA or CPCO. I had been leaning towards CPCO but after this discussion, I am wondering if I shouldn't go with the CPMA. Of course, I can eventually get both certs but I was wondering if one might be better over the other.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Kellie

Cpma or cpco

The certifications are different and each has it own avantage. If you are interested in doing auditing I would take the CPMA, if you are interested into branching out into Compliance I would take the CPCO. Just remember that the CPCO exam is for people who have a pretty good amount of knownledge on compliance already as this is not an easy exam. CPMA is also for coders that already have some auditing background. I think either of the certifications would be of benefit to you and give you an edge to further your career. I wish you great success no matter which one you to take. Remember like you said you can take both over time. Good Luck!:)

The certifications are different and each has it own avantage. If you are interested in doing auditing I would take the CPMA, if you are interested into branching out into Compliance I would take the CPCO. Just remember that the CPCO exam is for people who have a pretty good amount of knownledge on compliance already as this is not an easy exam. CPMA is also for coders that already have some auditing background. I think either of the certifications would be of benefit to you and give you an edge to further your career. I wish you great success no matter which one you to take. Remember like you said you can take both over time. Good Luck!:)

Hi Judy,

Thank you for your reply. I think I am leaning more towards the CPMA first and then maybe the CPCO. Thank you for the clarifications :)

Yes, the CPMA credential is what you should obtain first. This covers auditing and you will also gain a fair amount of compliance knowledge studying for it.

Maria, CPC, CPC-H, CPCO, CPMA, CEMC