Wiki Need second opinion Re: LA grade / Esophagitis

CNMI670

Networker
Best answers
My first time to code: LA grade A Esophagitis

Per my reading/research, the LA grading system was created to determine the level of damage to the esophagus in patients with GERD?
Therefore, I SHOULD use K21.0 (Gastro-esophageal reflux disease with esophagitis)?

I'm so confused with my research and how the icd-10-cm gives me options of K20.- (Esophagitis) and K21.- (Gastro-esophageal reflux disease with or without esophagitis).

Procedural notes has no mention of Gastro-esophageal reflux so in my mind, the correct code is K20.8 (Other esophagitis)?

For now, I'll be using K20.8 however, I do appreciate your thoughts for future understanding. I would've thought that the LA grades would be in the icd-10-cm book if the system has been proposed in 1994, supported by WHO and published since 1999.

Kind regards,
Marissa

Last edited by a moderator:
If the note clarifies "LA grade 2 reflux esophagitis," then I will use K21.0. However, since we can't assume, if the only thing stated is "LA esophagitis," I would put K20.8 unless the indication for the note is GERD. In that case, I would code K21.0 since both conditions are present