Wiki need to educate nurses in an outpatient clinic

kjacobson

New
Best answers
Hi, I am new to posting and have a new job at an Air Force base and was asked to give "more information about how to code better as nurses in the clinic, med techs in the clinic, disease manager nurses and case manager nurses".
I am looking for any insight as to the responsibilities of those duties or any references I can study before I present them with my ideas.
This is difficult as I do not know what they have done up until now. But your thoughts?
Thanks

Without knowing what they do, I wouldn't even know where to start. Before you try to come up with an education plan, I'd suggest trying to set up some time with them to observe their work and have the opportunity to ask questions. Then you would have a place to start developing your plan based on what you've seen.

Keep in mind that nurses and technicians may not diagnose patients. All diagnoses must come from the provider documentation, not ancillary staff records, so they should not be assigning diagnosis codes. Most likely they just need guidance for selecting codes for procedures they perform, such as injections, immunizations, etc.

Agree with Thomas. This is way too broad of a question to really help with. It's a great suggestion to shadow them in clinic to see what they do. I would also suggest pulling a sample to review of codes and documentation submitted to see what is going on. You need to see and understand the clinic workflow and documentation/EHR process before you can help.

I agree, they probably need help with those things such as Thomas mentioned above. Injections, immunizations, etc.