Wiki Nephrostomy coding

Best answers
Since the new codes for coding nephrostograms etc...have changed I cannot for the life of me understand what codes to use. I've been to one seminar but it was so packed and the person giving the seminar was too fast. In the following report how would you code?

Patient already has a nephroureteral stent. Contrast was injected thru the nephroureteral stent which demonstrates a renal calculus. Guidewire was advanced into the urinary bladder for placement of a percutaneous working sheath. After successful ne[hrolithotomy by another phy the working sheath was removed and a 14French nephroureteral stent was placed. The nephrostomy component was positioned in the renal pelvis. The ureteral component was positioned in the distal ureter. The percutaneous nephrostomy was then secured with suture and capped.

Thanks for the help:)

Possible. Codes

Since the new codes for coding nephrostograms etc...have changed I cannot for the life of me understand what codes to use. I've been to one seminar but it was so packed and the person giving the seminar was too fast. In the following report how would you code?

Patient already has a nephroureteral stent. Contrast was injected thru the nephroureteral stent which demonstrates a renal calculus. Guidewire was advanced into the urinary bladder for placement of a percutaneous working sheath. After successful ne[hrolithotomy by another phy the working sheath was removed and a 14French nephroureteral stent was placed. The nephrostomy component was positioned in the renal pelvis. The ureteral component was positioned in the distal ureter. The percutaneous nephrostomy was then secured with suture and capped.

Thanks for the help:) Read guidelines on pg. 322 in the CPT book! Also read the code description for 50693 your operative description indicates that one or more procedures was performed for the second surgeon check 50060 as well! Hope this can guide you in the right direction!
]

Last edited: