Wiki Nerve Blocks

KoBee

Expert
Best answers
:confused:New at this, I had a coder put in 64405, but I believe this should be 64490, anyone please help understand..:confused:

Third Occipital Nerve Block, Cervical Spine Medial Branch Nerve Block
Pre-operative diagnosis:
* * ICD-10-CM
1. Occipital neuralgia of right side M54.81
Post-operative diagnosis: same
Procedure: right Cervical Spine C2-3 Medial Branch Nerve/Third occipital nerve block between C2-3 (facet) under fluoroscopic guidance
Indications: This patient has a diagnosis of neck pain due to Occipital neuralgia/headache, Cervicogenic headache and cervical spine spondylosis. Informed consent obtained after explaining the procedure and potential complications including local discomfort, infection, headache, temporary or permanent weakness and/or numbness of one or both legs, temporary or permanent paraplegia, heart attack and stroke. All questions were answered.
Procedure in detail:
Patient was taken to the procedure room and placed in prone position. Time out was performed. Patient's right lateral neck/cervical spine area was prepped with Chloraprep and draped in a sterile manner.
Then, lateral fluoroscopy was used to identify and mark the the center of the C2-3 facet joint on the right side. Additionally, the midpoint of the mid-articular pillars at C2-3 on the right were also marked. Then, under lateral fluoroscopic guidance, a 25 G 3.5 inch spinal needle, was advanced to the targeted points corresponding with the locations of the third occipital nerve.
Then, after negative aspiration for heme and injection of total 1 ml of Omnipaque contrast, Total 1 mL of lidocaine 1% and 40 mg depomedrol was injected at the target point corresponding to the locations of the third occipital nerve.
Needle was removed and bandaged placed over site of needle insertion.
Estimated Blood Loss: None
Specimens: None
Disposition: The patient tolerated the procedure without complaint and was transported to the recovery room in stable condition.
Follow-up: The patient will return as scheduled

64405 is for the greater occipital nerve, which is a different site from the third occipital nerve that is documented here, so I don't believe that option is correct. 64490 is for a facet joint injection, which is an inter-articular injection and not a nerve block, but is closer to the documented site of the injection here. I think there are differing opinions on this, but here is some support for using 64490 (note that since this is an older article, it directs to use the now-deleted code 64470, which has been replaced with 64490): https://www.supercoder.com/my-ask-an-expert/topic/cpt-3rd-occipital-nerve-block The other option, as mentioned in the article, is 64450, for a block of 'other peripheral nerve', which is apparently not recommended since 64490 more specifically identifies the injection site.

Last edited: