Wiki Neurofibromas (24) excision CPT

AR2728

Expert
Best answers
Need some advice---physician wants to bill 28043 x 24. However, I'm wondering if she truly removed all 24 individually or as a whole due to her text in bold and/or if utilizing a blade means she did not do this to subcutaneous. Perhaps it is just her wording that is confusing me. I would appreciate any advice. (Path report did reveal 24 separate lesions removed placed in mutliple cassettes.)

Procedure: Soft tissue mass excision, right foot x 24

Procedure note:
Attention was then directed to the plantar central aspect of the right foot where several lesions varying in size from the smallest being 2 mm X 2 mm to the largest being 1 cm X 8 mm. 24 soft tissue mass lesions were fully excised to healthy tissue margins, utilizing 2 converging semielliptical incisions to the level of the base of the membrane utilizing #15 blade. These lesions were located at the plantar medial and lateral aspect of the right foot. Each specimen was passed from the operative field and placed to a specimen cup to be sent for pathological evaluation. The wounds were then flushed with copious amounts of sterile, normal saline. The skin was reapproximated and coapted utilizing #4-0 Proline in a simple suture fashion.

Any suggestions on this one? I've also attempted to find MUE value for this code, but unfortunately nothing related to this particular code on CMS.