Wiki Neuroma Injection

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
ok...one of our Pain Magmnt dr's wants to bill out a "neuroma injection of the illiac crest for pain management'.

Is this correct? And if so, what CPT code would best describe this scenario? I know neuroma is a tumor...which I'm sure causes pain..BUT...what injection code fits the bill?

Thanks...:(

I have seen this coded multiple ways, however, I use 11900 or 11901 per the outcome of an external audit of our pain services. I believe the auditor was Joanne Mehmert, CPC who is a very respected Pain Coding speaker/auditor.

Julie, CPC

I have seen this coded multiple ways, however, I use 11900 or 11901 per the outcome of an external audit of our pain services. I believe the auditor was Joanne Mehmert, CPC who is a very respected Pain Coding speaker/auditor.

Julie, CPC

FUNNY..JOANNE IS GREAT..SHE DID A SEMINAR FOR US. I USED 20610 BECAUSE IT WAS FOR A ILLIAC CREST TUMOR & DR WANTED TO DO A THERAPUDIC PROCEDURE....WAS I WRONG? SHOWED THE GIRLS 11900 BUT THE 'LESION' PART SHIED THEM AWAY...:eek:

Was the injection to the depth of the joint or bursa level? The neuroma injections I have coded have been more superficial.

Julie, CPC

No, I would have a hard time coding 20610 for neuroma injection based on the CPT description versus the Operative Report/procedural note documentation. If I was not billing the 11900 - I would probably be looking at 64999 (unlisted nervous system). Like I said any documentation I've billed from would not support the use of 20610. Maybe post your scrubbed Op Report and you could enlighten me :eek:

Julie, CPC

ok i will...this question came from our other office. Dr's call and want to know right away...that's when the girls call me....not easy. But now I will get more info.

There is no op yet because they "want" to do it and need a CPT code. I will notify the girls that when it comes in to review. i will probably contact again to show report. thanks again...:)