Wiki Neuropathy PLEASE HELP!

lfisher78

Contributor
Best answers
I am coding a diagnosis of Neuropathy. There is no other documentation other than the medication the patient is taking. I have code 349.9. My supervisor thinks that it may be 359.9. The documentation does not state that this is mononeuritis, It only states that the patient was diagnosed with neuropathy. Does anyone have any idea how I should code this? Thanks:)

I'm not sure where your supervisor got 359.9 but I don't agree with that code at all. I don't agree with 349.9 either because it is "disorder of (central) nervous system NOS" and Neuropathy is a disorder of the peripheral nervous system. I remember reading somewhere that Neuropathy can also be referred to as mononeuropathy, or mononeuritis. I would just use 355.9

Yes, I agree with 355.9 as well. It would be better for us if you posted the section of the note describing the diagnosis. It may help with choosing a more specific ICD-9. :)

Last edited:
Because Neuropathy is so broad I did not fill comfortable with 355.9. Neuropathy could be mononeuritis, polyneuropathy ect. There is nothing else in the description for the diagnosis but the meds the patient is on. I cannot query the doc at this point for more info. I will code 355.9 because that seems to be the best code at this point. Thanks

Last edited: