Wiki Neurovascular aftercare vs follow-up??

s_harris14

Best answers
I ashamedly admit that aftercare and follow-up care guidelines confuse me. I understand the basics: the condition is either active, healing, or healed. However, when I try to apply those guidelines to my specialty, I lose all understanding. Maybe I'm just over-complicating it...I hope someone out there can help me smooth it out in my brain.

I am specifically questioning diseases of the cerebrovascular circulatory system, ICD-10 codes I60-I62, I65-I67, and I77.7x. If a cerebral aneurysm has been coiled or an arterial dissection has healed after anticoagulant/anti-platelet treatment - what is the proper way to code these?

I initially thought to use Z09 Encounter for follow-up examination after completed treatment for conditions other than malignant neoplasm with an additional code from Z86.7x(x) to describe the healed artery/vessel, but I am receiving mixed information as to whether that is correct and payable by payers.

For example, there is not a code for history of aneurysm or arterial dissection...so for both scenarios I would have to use Z86.79 Personal history of other diseases of the circulatory system.

To further complicate things, my physician (a neuroradiologist/neurointerventional radiologist) also bills for the professional reading of neuroradiology cross-sectional exams. Is it appropriate to use the Z09/Z86.7x combination when billing for the pro-fees for the MR/CT's or only for the office encounters?

I'm sorry for the long post and the amateur question, but I appreciate any feedback.

-Stephanie