Wiki New 2019 Neuropsychology/Psychology Codes

huggarat2

Contributor
Best answers
Neuropsychology and Psychology Codes 2019
Has anyone been able to decipher the new codes? Our providers have had many questions but among them, the most frustrating one for them is:
Q. What code do we use if we only administer one test? - I cited the APA FAQs sheet: “The psychologist is required to give 2 or more tests in order to utilize the Test Administration and Scoring codes 96136-96139. A single standalone test, even a multifaceted one, would not represent a neuropsychological evaluation or psychological evaluation service.” but this was an unacceptable answer as some of these test are quite time consuming for the provider.
Does anyone have a solution for this?
Thanx,
Carol

New Neuro/psych codes

We have just had this happen as well. Our psychologist was able to bill for the time spent in counseling with the patient but not for the time spent in testing. I am still not certain that this is correct, but it is what we went with.

Jolene Knowles, CPC

If the psychologist is giving/interpreting the PHQ9 and the GAD7, does the 96136 & 96137 get billed for those?

According to the APA guidelines, 96118 does not "one-to-one" crosswalk to the new codes: 96132+96133, 96136+96137.

Q: Unlike 96118, 96132 does not explicitly mention "face-to-face" so this implies it is not face-to-face and therefore my provider would like to know if data interpretation and scoring could "overlap" other procedures while the patient is engaging in other procedures during the same time.

Max Golec, CPC

Billing 96132 and 96133

Can I ask for some assistance- the new codes for example I have the provider billing 96132 on one day and then 96133 on a different day. This is causing denials, may I ask can they bill the 96132 multiple times on different days.

1-1-19 96132 just the initial hour

1-4-19 96132 first hour and then 96133 for any additional time

Thanks

Help with IMPACT testing 96146

I have a PA-C that was billing 96120 for the IMPACT test, he would see the patient go over the results, if it was an initial visit would often do a detailed neurologic exam if supported order PT, rehab, and sometimes medication. The old code had RVU assigned to it. The cross over code 96146 has no RVU. I am not sure what would constitute two tests in the description of the new code 96136. If he did a cognitive type of testing would this count? Any help is appreciated as he is quite upset he is not getting RVU any longer if we are coding as 96146.

Phq9 gad7

If the psychologist is giving/interpreting the PHQ9 and the GAD7, does the 96136 & 96137 get billed for those?

We use 96127 for PHQ9 and GAD7 with 2 units.

CPT Code 96127 hasn’t been around a long time. In fact, it came into play in January of 2015, after the Affordable Care Act included mental healthcare in insurance plans across the country. CPT Code 96127 is a code that may be used to report brief behavioral or emotional assessments for reimbursement.

There's a list online of many different assessments, but I can't find it right now :(