Wiki New 20700 series

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
If my primary codes doesn't fit into any of the ones listed with these add-on codes, then do I go back to the 11981 or 11982? I have a case where the antiobiotics beads are being removed and then 27447 is being done. I can't find that as a primary code in any of the 20700 codes.
thank you,

If this is correct and the surgeon is removing antibiotic beads and then performing an arthroplasty, then 27447 would be billed and the bead removal would be included with that.

So, the surgeons are getting dinged for the placement and removal now depending on what the primary surgery is? I read somewhere that the list was not complete in the CPT book and more CPTs might be allowed as primary but I didn't know where to find out that info. Thank you,

So, the surgeons are getting dinged for the placement and removal now depending on what the primary surgery is? I read somewhere that the list was not complete in the CPT book and more CPTs might be allowed as primary but I didn't know where to find out that info. Thank you,
My question is what did your doctor previously place in this patient? Beads or antibiotic spacer? I've never seen a surgeon take out antibiotic beads and then do a knee replacement. Keep in mind that smaller procedures will bundle with more extensive procedures. Removing previously placed beads will not add significant work when performing an arthroplasty, so removing the beads will bundle. Removing an antibiotic spacer is much more work.

Yes. Unfortunately the RVU's for this are not what they should be for what they are doing. The spacers are kept in for about six weeks usually. This means that you are in the global of 27488 which means that you will need to use -58 when billing 27447.