Wiki New at bh

Best answers
Hello-

I am new at coding behavioral health and am also a new coder. I am having issues with T1017 and H2011 which I was told my provider used them at her previous office. They are only Medicaid codes so that explains why they are being denied on other insurances. Can I bill the E/M only for medicine management?? Also for the H2011 is for crisis intervention... which she uses when patient calls in for emergency visit? Is that considered a crisis intervention or can I use the psychotherapy codes?? Any info would be useful. Thank you.

Hi There,

Medication Management when performed by a prescribing physician or nurse practitioner would have its own set of codes. One of which would be E&M if the provider was performing that service in addition to one which would be specific to psychotherapy done at the same session. CPT has a specific add on code and fairly good guidelines in both the E&M and Psychotherapy section headers which will have information to guide you on what types of practitioners can use these codes and in what circumstances.

Taking a look at the two codes you mentioned, I do not have a CPT code handy that could be used specifically for Case Management but the crisis counseling does translate from the Medicaid code to one used in CPT. 90839 and 90840 are time based codes but again I would suggest reviewing the section header in CPT since it will have instructions on when you can use those codes. One that pops to mind would be the requirement that services be face to face, not telephonic.

Hope that helps!