Wiki New Born Procedure with Global Period

Deb2009

Best answers
If a newborn has a procedure with a 10 day global period on day 2. And is dismissed from the hospital on day 3, can I charge a hospital d/c fee with a modifier or is it inclusive of the procedure global period?

If someone can point me to documentation I would be more then happy to read for myself. I am just not finding it!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Signed VERY CONFUSED! :eek:

Can anyone give me direction on where to find documention for coding on newborn with procedures in hospital? I need to know if I can charge d/c on patient after a procedure with a 10 day global period??

HELP

Who performed the procedure?

There are no special rules for newborns. The global period rules apply to all patients equally.

Who performed the procedure? The "operating" physician is bound by the global period. Other physicians (i.e. different practice or different specialty in the same practice) are NOT affected by the global period.

So, if YOUR physician performed the procedure, s/he cannot charge any E/M service during the globa period (including subs hospital visits and discharge).

If a DIFFERENT physician (different practice or different specialty in the same practice) performed the procedure, the global period does not apply to your physician.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC