Wiki New Coder Question

katiesamu

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the healthcare industry and I’m currently obtaining my bachelors degree in Health Science. I want to become a medical coder, but don’t have the money to pay for the whole coding preparation bundle at once. I was looking and seen that if you take Practicode, you can get 1 year taken off your apprenticeship status.

my question is that, despite not taking my certification test yet and wanting more experience beforehand, could it be beneficial to still take the Practicode Modules? And if I do, could they take the one year off the A status once I do obtain my credentials?

i would really love more experience and I want to apply to some coding jobs, eventually. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Don't put the cart before the horse. You can't apply principles in Practicode or similar that you don't know. Given your situation I would get the CPC study guide and be learning that and then asking questions as you go along. FYI I am not familiar with Practicode, so someone who is may be able to give additional insight.

Don't put the cart before the horse. You can't apply principles in Practicode or similar that you don't know. Given your situation I would get the CPC study guide and be learning that and then asking questions as you go along. FYI I am not familiar with Practicode, so someone who is may be able to give additional insight.
Thanks for the tip, can you access the study guide on here by chance? I’ve taken Medical Coding 1 and 2 as electives for my current degree I’m working on. And I have all the required books that are needed.

I was credentialed back in 2003. The CPC study guide you have to purchase from the AAPC. Maybe someone has a used one that they could get you? With what you already have, it may not be that big of a help. Post on there that you need one and see if someone can get one to you.